Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I drove to Vermont today for a Fall Foliage Workshop

I left at the crack of 3:00pm today for the four hour and forty-five minute trip to White River Junction. I was dismayed by how much green there was nearly everywhere.

Leaf peeping is big business in the Northeast, but especially Vermont. The fall foliage season of 2007 has been one big disappointment. Not only has it been dry, but it has been unseasonably warm. My first day saw temperatures in the eighties.

I dropped the bags and headed over to the Seven Barrel Brewery in West Lebanon, NH. There were three customers and the waitstaff just waiting for the clock to tick to closing time. I had a mixed salad (not bad) and the cock-a-leekie soup with two giant puff pastries (mostly air) on top. The soup was fair - a little too much cornstarch for my liking.

I was staying at the Hampton Inn at White River Junction because it was central, less expensive than the B&Bs, and the reviews on TripAdvisor were pretty good. Well, the bed was so-so. It felt like a little mound; if two people had to sleep in it, both would be on their way to their bums half the night. The linens are standard - no luxury here.

The hotel did offer 24-hour coffee which wasn't bad, and they give away breakfast bags for those leaving before the official breakfast hour begins at 6am. The breakfast bag contains a bottle of water, an apple and a granola bar. The official breakfast consists of several cold cereal choices, instant oatmeal, eggs and ham, and a lot of bread product with negative nutritional value and Smucker's packaged peanut butter which is loaded with partially hydrogenated oils which I won't eat.

No comments: