Wednesday, October 3, 2007

First full day: Woodstock, VT

I dragged my sorry self out of bed at 6am and hit the road a little later. I headed west for Woodstock, the charming, very upscale town known for its well-heeled, gentlemen farmers, and meticulously restored downtown buildings.

At 6:45am, the sun was just about to poke above a local horizon and quiet town was filled with blue light. It was about 65 degrees already and a little hazy.

I shot the covered bridge in the middle of downtown and it, too, is in perfect condition and is adorably cute.



I wandered around a little longer then slipped into the bustling Mountain Creamery for breakfast. The place was filled with folks over sixty, and the talk was all local. If you're sensitive to bright light early in the morning, the over-abundant fluorescent light won't thrill you.

The coffee was plentiful, the veggie omelet passable. The toast was completely soggy, but the runny homemade strawberry jam was ok.


During breakfast, I watched the local bookstore owner across the street create her fall display. I strolled over to buy a map and chat with her about where to find a swamp or other likely color hotspots.

She sent me to Garvin Road and Knapp Pond, both of which were charming, but not necessarily photo worthy. I ended up on Morgan Road and found some horse farms....


I made my way back to camp by stopping at the Quechee Gorge (pronounced kwee-chee). I drove to the top of the gorge, parked, then hiked to the pond and all the way down to where the gorge opens up and spills onto a giant spread of rock. It's only about a mile top to bottom and is a very easy walk.

It was too early to get to bed, so I drove over to Hanover, NH to see the Dartmouth campus. After aimlessly driving around, I decided on Murphy's on the Green for a little dinner and a beer. It's a good place; 11 South Main Street, Hanover, NH. Great beers on tap, a friendly crowd and a smug bartender.

No comments: