Monday, August 11, 2008

Hiking to Gertrude's Nose in the Shawangunks

I took a flyer with my buddy Susannah out to the 'Gunks. We met up with an avid hiking group who thinks nothing of going all out all day. I bonked with ninety minutes left to walk and almost cried the last steps down to the lodge.

Some of the best hiking around is only ninety minutes north of New York City at the New Paltz exit. We headed right for the Mohonk Preserve and, after checking in, were on the trail with 28 other, mostly very fit, very retired hikers, at 10am.

We straggled in at 5pm on the dot; a time I'm quite sure of because they very kindly let me into the lodge to use the ladies room even though the door was locked.

We then met up with the gang at the Brauhaus where the Teutonic-looking waitresses even braid the blond hair. The Spaten Oktoberfest hit the spot. I was starving and exhausted and so glad to be sitting down.

No comments: